Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Technology is No Panacea" and TPCK

12 comments:

  1. I agree with most of the points the author discusses especially concerning how teachers should incorporate technology with their existing goals and their new goals. He implies that most teachers don't consider using technology because of the bad experiences they've had which I feel can easily be changed. I think that technology can be adaptable and flexible in a teacher's lesson plan which can greatly benefit students' learning if it is used properly to engage students, not distract them. I like how Palmquist says that technology isn't a panacea but an opportunity if used wisely.

    -Kirsten Chen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Palmquist in that, "...educators must consider how technology can help in the pursuit of existing goals as well as new goals." Since I will be working with younger children (hopefully K or 1st), I would like to effectively teach my students to be able to do basic things on a computer, like type a word document or make a powerpoint. My sister is currently a third grade teacher, and her students like using computers for learning purposes and taking AR tests. I think technology is important in learning, however, I learned with the aid of only computers and projectors and this seemed to work well for me, but I would like to know what else is out there and how to use it. I am very interested in finding out how to incorporate technology in my classroom and see what works best for my students, but I do not think daily technological use is the key to learning. Like Palmquist says, it should be used wisely.
    TPACK seems like a neat way to understand technology knowledge, but I am not quite sure how it really works. I would like to know how it aids teachers in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Palmquist when he says, "Technology is no panacea....We must study it carefully, consider its implications fully, design our courses with those implications in mind, and use it as wisely as we can." Sometimes people assume that technology is the sole solution to the modern age of education, but the rapid growth of technology can sometimes put teachers and students at a slower learning pace because they're trying to incorporate new technology. Palmquist also recognizes that technology can enhance the educational involvement of both students and teachers. Technology is becoming prominent from a young age, rather than just using computers in high school. It is good because children are getting a profound basis of how to use technology, whether they're in or out of school. By doing this, it is not only changing the way we teach and learn, but it is changing the way we live. This will continue to work if teachers stay updated on new technology and convey this to students. Therefore, like Palmquist said, technology is not a panacea or solution, but it is a process that we need to continually work with and help grow.

    Marguerite Walters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Palmquist's assertion that technology should be used "wisely", especially in the case of students who do not have access to the same technology used in school.I think teachers need to keep in mind the differing technological abilities of their students and the fact that not all students have access to the technology of our classrooms at home. I remember in high school our school depended on the Blackboard online system to post pretty much all our homework assignments and projects. Most of our assignments had to be completed on and submitted to Blackboard, and would be graded based on our online submission. Many of my classmates often complained that they could not do the homework because they did not have access to the Blackboard system at home or simply did not have access to a computer at home. So in this case the "varying access to and experience with technology", did actually leave students behind. Therefore I agree with Palmquist that we need to fully consider the implications of the new technology.
    -Aisha Mohammed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with most of the previous posts. Technology is a wonderful tool when employed effectively. As teachers, we cannot afford to ignore advances in technology. This ignorance harms our students because they will be unprepared to work with or compete with others who have benefited from using and learning technology in the classroom. I don’t like that he implies getting rid of “old” forms of teaching, like the essay. I do agree that assignments should reflect the use of technology. It is fine to assign creating a website: however, writing an essay is still a needed skill. I think Technology can also expand our access to students in and out of a classroom. Students in physical classrooms can still collaborate outside of the classroom or examine old and new classroom materials. Students attending an online school can do more and feel more connected as we incorporate more technology. One teacher could reach even more students through technology.
    Virginia Donnal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palmquist made some valid points when he said "technology used wisely can enhance teaching and learning," and also when he said that computers definitely can not and will not replace teachers, or that the web will make classrooms obsolete. I think it's important that he mentions we "must never allow technology to determine our goals as teachers"; rather, we as teachers should use the opportunity of technology to find new ways of doing things. Technology creates many more options and opens up new possibilities for teachers.

    Ellen Picker

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought Palmquist's article was interesting, and I like the approach that he took on technology. Certainly, technology can never entirely replace traditional teaching methods, but I believe that, used correctly, technology can supplement traditional learning in the classroom to create an ideal, balanced environment for all students. As Palmquist implied, times keep changing, and teachers must keep up with new technology in the classroom to ensure the success of their students. Ideally, teachers will see an "opportunity" for themselves and their students to use technology "as wisely as [they] can." I also found it interesting to read about TPCK, and I think it is a great idea in theory. I would be curious to find out more about how this approach specifically works.

    -Amanda Steen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Palmquist is right that Technology is a helpful tool but that it should not dictate what is taught or the goals of the classroom. There is another problem with technology, or any new thing brought into the classroom, that he neglects to mention, unintended consequences. Too heavy reliance on computers for writing can handicap students' spelling. If spell check just fixes everything they won't learn what they can't spell and they won't try to fix it. Also, creative lessons with technology can often catch the students' attention, but if their attention is just focused on the technology and not on the content then what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although it was a minor point in the article, Palmquist addresses a concern I have with using technology in the classroom: instructional time lost when computers prove unreliable. He claims that computers are becoming "more capable" but they are still subject to crashing at inconvenient times. I fear 20+ students staring at me waiting for my next move if the computer fails. How should we prepare for moments like this?

    Also, as a future English educator, the use of images, audio, and video to enhance the essay writing process excites me. We cannot ignore that our students will have grown up accustomed to a world filled with technology. But as Virginia stated in an earlier post, we cannot fail in teaching them the traditional essay. It's going to be an interesting challenge to balance technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the most part I agree with Palmquist's major points that he made about technology. Personally, I have always viewed technology as a tool, as something to help you complete an assignment or to communicate with others, etc. I am not sure that I am convinced of his argument that technology is more than a tool. Making technology out to be more than it is makes the traditional way of teaching (such as writting essays) seem antiquated and even boring. I can not imagine, if given the option, that a student would choose a written essay over making a video. I still think that technology should be used more as an aid, but maybe after taking this course my opinion will change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Technology is such a vital part of the modern world that it is necessary for students to learn how and be comfortable with using it. Personally I have dealt with teachers who have not incorporated technology in a productive or worthwhile fashion, but I still believe that it is incredibly important. What teachers need to know how to do is use technology efficiently and correctly. Education must evolve with the times, and keeping up with technology is the most obvious way for it to do this.

    ReplyDelete