This podcast actually did settle a lot of questions I had regarding the whole issue of using copyrighted works in the classroom. It is understandable why teachers in the first place have many anxieties about the whole concept. An overall theme we have discussed in class is that as technology is advancing and changing, teachers need to be aware and understand these changes and apply them effectively in the classroom. I think the idea of Fair Use goes along with this theme because it gives the OK for teachers to use whatever they need copyrighted work-wise in order for students to have access to information they need to become educated citizens in a constantly changing society. The podcast describes Fair Use as a way to enable teachers and students to use copyrighted work for teaching or for research without having to ask for permission or pay a fee, and that itself is a potentially very valuable and influential tool that teachers have access to. This expands the horizon of teaching, allowing teachers more resources as needed.
The cost of copyright confusion really interested me. I had no idea that it is considered piracy if you do not get permission from the photographer and the person being photographed to use a picture. Copyright consciousness has been increased in the past few years. I also thought the "fair use" law was very interesting because the teachers have a right to use copyrighted material under certain circumstances. The problem I have with this is, what is fair use? How far can teachers go in using copyrighted information? It is a fine line, but very tricky. The examples that Lengel talks about helps my understanding about Fair Use, but sometimes it is still difficult to make the judgement. It is important that teachers are under the Fair Use law because it helps enable teachers and students to learn more easily with an array of different resources.
The issue of copyright is definitely important for future teachers. As technology changes and expands it becomes more and more imperative to incorporate it in the classroom. What is also important is that teachers understand the line between copyright infringement and fair use in technology. I think that the fact that teachers are addressed in the copyright law shows lawmakers' readiness to allow different forms of technology (movies, music, computer software, etc) to be incorporated in the classroom setting. As long as teachers thoroughly contemplate the "purpose and character,... nature of the work, amount and [proportion] used, and the affect upon the potential market or value" and determine that their use will not have a detrimental effect on the original artist, then I think they are following Fair Use guidelines.
I agree that copyright and Fair use laws can be extremely confusing, however this podcast did clarify some things for me. It was really informative to learn that Fair Use does allow teachers to use copyrighted material as long it is for educational purposes. However, it is also apparent from the ambiguity behind the concept of what is fair use, that teachers must be very mindful when using materials that could be construed as an infringement. -Aisha Mohammed
When it comes to copyright and Fair Use, I feel lost, even after listening to the podcast twice. In the examples they gave, I did not understand if they were examples of Fair Use or infringment of copyright, so it was a little confusing for me. It was, however, reassuring to know that criticism, comment, and teaching of any copyrighted material is not an infringment of the copyright law, and that copyrighted items play significant roles in students' lives because "it is important for students to have access to ideas to become educated citizens." Even though I have learned a lot about the copyright law and Fair Use, I have the feeling that when I become a teacher, I will still be afraid of violating the copyright law. -caroline wilke
Like Caroline, in some of the examples given it was really hard to distinguish which ones were actual examples of Fair Use; I wish they had clarified them at the end! Even so, Fair Use seems like it will be very helpful to us as teachers. As he said, before Fair Use teachers were so worried about breaking the copyright laws that they would self-censor their lessons which can impede the educational learning process. I can definitely see how that would be true and am glad that we have less to worry about now.
Before we talked about copyright laws in class last week, I didn't realize how important it was to be aware of this issue. For the past 3 years in college, I have seen my professors post articles for their students to print and read, show video clips during class, and project works of art and images up on the screen. I simply assumed that they just did it, and I never even thought that they could be thinking about copyright laws. Before the podcast, the notion of "copyright consciousness" was completely foreign to me. The podcast made it seem as if everyone became spooked, and copyright consciousness became a natural feature of teachers' lives. But how many of our teachers stop to think twice about copyright infringement? Do teachers assume that Fair Use give them a blanket power to use copyrighted material? Do teachers forget about copyright laws? I guess Fair Use is a big sigh of relief and could be interpreted as saying that teachers have much more freedom (than the average person) to use copyrighted material, just as long as it is used for a clear educational purpose and does not take away from the market. But I'm still scared that I might not be understanding Fair Use correctly.
Last question(s): what happens when teachers break copyright laws? Who monitors Fair Use in the classroom?
This podcast answered a lot of copyright questions for me that I didn’t even know I had! I have never really dealt with the idea of copyright before this class. This makes me very nervous to create any presentations. The time required to make sure one is not breaking copyright laws makes me less willing to create new programs/powerpoints/podcasts for my future students. This seems to me where Fair Use laws come into play. But they seem very tricky. I e-mailed one of my high school teachers to ask her how she deals with this issue. She frequently showed slides and played songs relating to the subject. I have not heard back from her, but I am sure it is the start of an interesting, and hopefully helpful, discussion. Virginia Donnal
I enjoyed this podcast...especially the scenarios that he gave us. Being able to use copyrighted material enables students a wider exploration and deeper thinking. Teachers have become afraid because of copyright fears and uncertainties. There has been a change in teaching practice over the past 10 years because of a deeper awareness of copyright laws. However, there has been a massive misinterpretation...digital libraries can make teaching more effective. "Fair Use" guarantees teachers the right to use copyrighted materials in teaching; they allow this because they believe it's important for children to have access to media in order to learn. It is a bit of a slippery slope when deciding what Fair Use is, but things like purpose and character of use, nature of copyrighted work, and amount of use should be taken into consideration.
I'm glad we listened to this podcast because I feel like I became more aware of the issues surrounding copyright. I had honestly never really given copyright much thought, just because the issue hadn't really affected me in the past. Listening to this podcast helped clear up some of the issues, but in many cases, I still do not have a good sense of whether something falls under Fair Use or not. Like a few other posts stated, the examples in the podcast were good examples, but since Lengel never informed us whether or not those examples fell under Fair Use, I am still uncertain about exactly what constitutes Fair Use. I do like the idea of Fair Use, because as Lengel said, "Students need access to ideas for them to be educated," which would be almost impossible without the Fair Use policy. I am also curious about what the answer is to Nica's questions about what happens to teachers if they break copyright laws, and who monitors the Fair Use policy.
He said it best when he said that "there is no bright line of demarcation to separate fair uses from unfair ones." I think before we started to talk about copyright in class I would have said that copyright law is confusing. That didn't really bother me though since I never considered the possibility of copyright ambiguity getting me into trouble. It makes me uncomfortable that this fair use interpretation seems up in the air. If I use something in class I want to know without a doubt if it is legal or not. I don't want to be in a situation where I am acting and then hoping for the best. - Aaron Thomeer
This podcast actually did settle a lot of questions I had regarding the whole issue of using copyrighted works in the classroom. It is understandable why teachers in the first place have many anxieties about the whole concept. An overall theme we have discussed in class is that as technology is advancing and changing, teachers need to be aware and understand these changes and apply them effectively in the classroom. I think the idea of Fair Use goes along with this theme because it gives the OK for teachers to use whatever they need copyrighted work-wise in order for students to have access to information they need to become educated citizens in a constantly changing society. The podcast describes Fair Use as a way to enable teachers and students to use copyrighted work for teaching or for research without having to ask for permission or pay a fee, and that itself is a potentially very valuable and influential tool that teachers have access to. This expands the horizon of teaching, allowing teachers more resources as needed.
ReplyDelete-Kirsten Chen
The cost of copyright confusion really interested me. I had no idea that it is considered piracy if you do not get permission from the photographer and the person being photographed to use a picture. Copyright consciousness has been increased in the past few years. I also thought the "fair use" law was very interesting because the teachers have a right to use copyrighted material under certain circumstances. The problem I have with this is, what is fair use? How far can teachers go in using copyrighted information? It is a fine line, but very tricky. The examples that Lengel talks about helps my understanding about Fair Use, but sometimes it is still difficult to make the judgement. It is important that teachers are under the Fair Use law because it helps enable teachers and students to learn more easily with an array of different resources.
ReplyDeleteMarguerite
The issue of copyright is definitely important for future teachers. As technology changes and expands it becomes more and more imperative to incorporate it in the classroom. What is also important is that teachers understand the line between copyright infringement and fair use in technology. I think that the fact that teachers are addressed in the copyright law shows lawmakers' readiness to allow different forms of technology (movies, music, computer software, etc) to be incorporated in the classroom setting. As long as teachers thoroughly contemplate the "purpose and character,... nature of the work, amount and [proportion] used, and the affect upon the potential market or value" and determine that their use will not have a detrimental effect on the original artist, then I think they are following Fair Use guidelines.
ReplyDeleteMegan MacLean
I agree that copyright and Fair use laws can be extremely confusing, however this podcast did clarify some things for me. It was really informative to learn that Fair Use does allow teachers to use copyrighted material as long it is for educational purposes. However, it is also apparent from the ambiguity behind the concept of what is fair use, that teachers must be very mindful when using materials that could be construed as an infringement.
ReplyDelete-Aisha Mohammed
When it comes to copyright and Fair Use, I feel lost, even after listening to the podcast twice. In the examples they gave, I did not understand if they were examples of Fair Use or infringment of copyright, so it was a little confusing for me. It was, however, reassuring to know that criticism, comment, and teaching of any copyrighted material is not an infringment of the copyright law, and that copyrighted items play significant roles in students' lives because "it is important for students to have access to ideas to become educated citizens." Even though I have learned a lot about the copyright law and Fair Use, I have the feeling that when I become a teacher, I will still be afraid of violating the copyright law.
ReplyDelete-caroline wilke
Like Caroline, in some of the examples given it was really hard to distinguish which ones were actual examples of Fair Use; I wish they had clarified them at the end! Even so, Fair Use seems like it will be very helpful to us as teachers. As he said, before Fair Use teachers were so worried about breaking the copyright laws that they would self-censor their lessons which can impede the educational learning process. I can definitely see how that would be true and am glad that we have less to worry about now.
ReplyDeleteBefore we talked about copyright laws in class last week, I didn't realize how important it was to be aware of this issue. For the past 3 years in college, I have seen my professors post articles for their students to print and read, show video clips during class, and project works of art and images up on the screen. I simply assumed that they just did it, and I never even thought that they could be thinking about copyright laws. Before the podcast, the notion of "copyright consciousness" was completely foreign to me. The podcast made it seem as if everyone became spooked, and copyright consciousness became a natural feature of teachers' lives. But how many of our teachers stop to think twice about copyright infringement? Do teachers assume that Fair Use give them a blanket power to use copyrighted material? Do teachers forget about copyright laws? I guess Fair Use is a big sigh of relief and could be interpreted as saying that teachers have much more freedom (than the average person) to use copyrighted material, just as long as it is used for a clear educational purpose and does not take away from the market. But I'm still scared that I might not be understanding Fair Use correctly.
ReplyDeleteLast question(s): what happens when teachers break copyright laws? Who monitors Fair Use in the classroom?
This podcast answered a lot of copyright questions for me that I didn’t even know I had! I have never really dealt with the idea of copyright before this class. This makes me very nervous to create any presentations. The time required to make sure one is not breaking copyright laws makes me less willing to create new programs/powerpoints/podcasts for my future students. This seems to me where Fair Use laws come into play. But they seem very tricky. I e-mailed one of my high school teachers to ask her how she deals with this issue. She frequently showed slides and played songs relating to the subject. I have not heard back from her, but I am sure it is the start of an interesting, and hopefully helpful, discussion.
ReplyDeleteVirginia Donnal
I enjoyed this podcast...especially the scenarios that he gave us. Being able to use copyrighted material enables students a wider exploration and deeper thinking. Teachers have become afraid because of copyright fears and uncertainties. There has been a change in teaching practice over the past 10 years because of a deeper awareness of copyright laws. However, there has been a massive misinterpretation...digital libraries can make teaching more effective. "Fair Use" guarantees teachers the right to use copyrighted materials in teaching; they allow this because they believe it's important for children to have access to media in order to learn. It is a bit of a slippery slope when deciding what Fair Use is, but things like purpose and character of use, nature of copyrighted work, and amount of use should be taken into consideration.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we listened to this podcast because I feel like I became more aware of the issues surrounding copyright. I had honestly never really given copyright much thought, just because the issue hadn't really affected me in the past. Listening to this podcast helped clear up some of the issues, but in many cases, I still do not have a good sense of whether something falls under Fair Use or not. Like a few other posts stated, the examples in the podcast were good examples, but since Lengel never informed us whether or not those examples fell under Fair Use, I am still uncertain about exactly what constitutes Fair Use. I do like the idea of Fair Use, because as Lengel said, "Students need access to ideas for them to be educated," which would be almost impossible without the Fair Use policy. I am also curious about what the answer is to Nica's questions about what happens to teachers if they break copyright laws, and who monitors the Fair Use policy.
ReplyDeleteHe said it best when he said that "there is no bright line of demarcation to separate fair uses from unfair ones." I think before we started to talk about copyright in class I would have said that copyright law is confusing. That didn't really bother me though since I never considered the possibility of copyright ambiguity getting me into trouble. It makes me uncomfortable that this fair use interpretation seems up in the air. If I use something in class I want to know without a doubt if it is legal or not. I don't want to be in a situation where I am acting and then hoping for the best.
ReplyDelete- Aaron Thomeer